Despite the common usage of the term, there is actually no singular black mold. Many molds are black in color. However, the mold that people commonly refer to - the one they see in their homes and commercial properties - is a type known as Stachybotrys chartarum (S. chartarum), or Stachybotrys atra.
It's extremely unsightly (this picture is disgusting!), smells bad, and can have a negative affect on health. In short, it's not something you want hanging around for long - especially since it's presence is usually accompanied by water leaks or damage, and will therefore continue to grow and get worse.
Mold is a type of fungus that can be found almost everywhere, including the air. It is impossible, therefore, to completely remove since air is always flowing. Generally, normal amounts of mold in the air and surrounding environment do not pose a significant health risk to healthy people with regular immune system functioning.
However, some people are often more sensitive to mold spores than other people, and they can develop respiratory problems after inhaling even tiny numbers of mold spores. These include
- infants and children
- older adults
- people with allergies or asthma
- people with weakened immune systems
When black mold can be found in large quantities, the spores can lead to poor health for almost anyone exposed to it. These problems can include:
- mold poisoning
- aches and pains
- nose bleeds
- memory loss
And according to
According to the Florida Department of Health, black mold can cause health problems including:
Allergies and irritations
With symptoms such as:
- a runny or blocked nose
- watery, red eyes
- a dry cough
- skin rashes
- a sore throat
To remove mold growth in your property, call Swift Response. Our expert team of engineers are highly experienced in mold remediation and carry out the highest quality work in order to prevent re-growth.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.